Jamie O’Hara can’t believe what he saw Everton player do – ‘It’s not good’

Jamie O’Hara was left shocked at the goalkeeping error made by Jordan Pickford in Everton’s heavy defeat to Newcastle United.

Pickford conceded four times as Newcastle earned a convincing 4-1 win at Hill Dickinson Stadium on Saturday evening.

Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall scored an impressive consolation goal for Everton after Thierno Barry had a goal ruled out for handball.

Pickford had a day to forget, as did many of his Everton colleagues, while David Moyes cut a frustrated figure throughout.

Jordan Pickford struggles in heavy Newcastle loss

Moyes jokingly said Pickford drives him mad earlier this week in terms of his distribution.

The Scotsman would not have liked what he saw from his undisputed number one against Newcastle, either.

Pickford dropped a clanger for the goal scored by Lewis Miley and would also have been disappointed with his goalkeeping for at least one of the other three goals.

Reacting to that second Newcastle goal on talkSPORT, O’Hara said: “I can’t remember the last time I saw Pickford make a mistake.

Back in the day you’d see Pickford and say he’s got a mistake in him, but this is the first one I’ve seen him make [in a while]. It’s not good from him.”

Newcastle’s four goals – the first of those arriving through Malick Thiaw inside a minute – came from an expected goals (xG) value of 1.92.

As per Sofascore, Everton created just one big chance, compared to five for Newcastle.

Everton concede four goals at home for first time since April 2023

Not since April 2023 had Everton conceded four times in a home league game, with that also coming against Newcastle.

It is the first time it has happened under Moyes, meanwhile, since November 2010 when losing 4-1 to West Brom.

Match stats from Everton 1-4 Newcastle
Credit: Sofascore

What makes the performance all the more frustrating is that it comes hot off the heels of the heroics shown at Old Trafford five days earlier.

Moyes needs to ensure this loss is quickly forgotten about ahead of facing Bournemouth at the Vitality Stadium on Tuesday.

Enjoyed this article? Stay connected with all the latest Everton news, updates, and behind-the-scenes content by following us on our new Instagram account – @goodisonnews