The Athletic: Some Everton stars contemplating futures following Carlo Ancelotti's exit
Carlo Ancelotti’s unexpected exit at Everton has lead to “some big-name players” considering their futures at Goodison Park, according to The Athletic.
The Italian called it quits at the Merseyside outfit on Tuesday after a 17-month tenure as manager, returning to Real Madrid.
The sudden development has not only disrupted Everton’s initial summer transfer plans after Ancelotti and director of football Marcel Brands had a meeting last week, but it could also lead to issues surrounding a number of current squad members.
“The Athletic understands some big-name players will now also contemplate their own futures at the club in light of these developments,” Greg O’Keeffe and Patrick Boyland wrote on the website.
“After an angry reaction in some quarters, the expectation is that several players could seek a move away.”
Squad overhaul on the cards?
Everton attracted big-name players last summer and were able to convince some to stay because of Ancelotti.
Richarlison revealed to the press back home that he decided to hold on for another season at Goodison Park because of Ancelotti [The Athletic], while Allan told The Guardian the Italian played a role in his arrival and James Rodriguez, speaking to ESPN Colombia, said pretty much the same.
Everton will be looking to land a quality manager capable of guiding them to Europe at the end of next season, but Ancelotti is as big as they come, and getting a boss as influential as him could prove herculean.
We are hoping Brands gets the perfect man for the job ahead, but convincing some top players to stay and top targets to come with no European football available will be very tricky.
A bit of a squad rebuild could be on the cards in light of this update, and the next manager no doubt has his work cut out for him.
Most importantly, Everton cannot afford to bring in someone who would not hesitate to walk out on them, and it is suffice to say we need a long-term boss who can get the project going for a while.
In other Everton news, a journalist has made Ancelotti-Toffees fans accusation after Italian’s online plea.