Report: Everton are in contact over a deal for Juventus midfielder Aaron Ramsey
Everton have made contact over a summer deal for Juventus and Wales midfielder Aaron Ramsey, according to Calcio Mercato.
The Italian news outlet claims representatives of the 30-year-old have been in talks with a number of interested English clubs, including Everton and Crystal Palace.
However, the Blues are said to have “momentarily frozen” any decision on Ramsey while they search for a new manager after Carlo Ancelotti’s exit to Real Madrid earlier this month.
The Wales international, who started his country’s Euro 2020 opener against Switzerland on Saturday, is “destined to leave” Juventus this summer, with both parties seeking his exit.
Ramsey has made just 46 Serie A appearances since he moved to the Italian giants from Arsenal in 2019.
Ex-Arsenal star Cesc Fabregas said he would be a “big miss” for the Gunners, while waxing lyrical about his “sensational” qualities. [BT Sport 29/05/19, via Wales Online]
Another ageing midfielder…
We’re hoping this was interest that was being driven by Ancelotti, rather than director of football Marcel Brands.
We already have a number of ageing midfielders at the club, with Allan, Fabian Delph and Gylfi Sigurdsson all in their thirties, while Abdoulaye Doucoure and Andre Gomes are 28 and 27 respectively.
The last thing we need to add is another player with a similar profile.
While Ramsey has been a tremendous player for Wales and Arsenal over the years, he’s suffered too many injuries to make this an enticing move for the Blues.
We should be targeting young, hungry stars, ones who are desperate to prove their worth in the Premier League.
Maybe this is the work of Ramsey’s agents who are desperate to secure a move back to England, but we should be distancing ourselves from any deal for him.
It’s a risk that is just not worth taking.
In other Everton news, Marcus Bent wants this adored figure to team up with Duncan Ferguson at Goodison Park.