Newcastle United have significant interest in Everton winger Anthony Gordon
Newcastle United have got a “significant interest” in Everton winger Anthony Gordon and could target him for a deal this summer, according to 90min.
The Magpies are keen to add to their attacking lineup this summer, and have made Bayer Leverkusen winger Moussa Diaby their top target in a potential club record deal.
But should that not come to fruition, 90min are reporting that Gordon could be an alternative alongside Chelsea winger Callum Hudson-Odoi.
Writing on July 5th they said, “90min has learned that Chelsea’s Callum Hudson-Odoi and Everton’s Anthony Gordon are also of significant interest to the club, but Diaby has emerged as Newcastle’s top target.”
Gordon was also targeted by Tottenham earlier in the window as part of the £60m deal that took Richarlison to north London [Sky Sports, June 27], but the Toffees are said to have no interest whatsoever in allowing him to leave.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
After the stellar year that Gordon had in the 2021/22 season, it was obvious that the club would have to fend off interest from clubs above them in the table.
But after losing Richarlison and with Dominic Calvert-Lewin’s future still up in the air, losing Gordon is absolutely the last thing that Everton can do during this window.
Newcastle have the funds to be able to really make the club consider their position, but they would have to use all their financial muscle to be able to convince a sale in this window.
Everton want to tie Gordon down to a new contract despite having a long time left on his deal, but that shows the value they have in him and proves to everyone how desperate they are to keep him.
They must do everything they can to ensure he doesn’t leave, but that will become more difficult if Newcastle choose to turn their attentions to him fully later in the window.