By George Overhill

23rd Sep, 2022 | 3:20pm

Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo charged by FA after Everton incident

Cristiano Ronaldo has been charged by the FA following an incident after the final whistle at Goodison Park after Everton won 1-0 last season, Simon Stone reports.

After the match on 9 April earlier this year, where Anthony Gordon’s deflected strike had been enough to secure a vital three points for the Toffees in the relegation battle, the Portuguese forward was accused of hitting a phone out of a young fan’s hand as he went into the tunnel.

The mother of the fan subsequently accused the 37-year-old of “assault” while rejecting an apology from him, and both the police and the FA confirmed they were looking into it, with the governing body’s decision now apparent.

BBC Sport journalist Stone wrote reported via Twitter on Wednesday afternoon (23 September): “Cristiano Ronaldo ‘charged with a breach of FA Rule E3 for an incident that took place after Manchester United FC’s Premier League match against Everton FC on Saturday 9 April 2022.

“It is alleged that the forward’s conduct after the final whistle was improper and/or violent’.


With the incident caught on video and widely distributed it is unlikely that Ronaldo will be able to contest the charge, or whether he would even attempt to.

A frustrating day for him personally saw him receive a gashed leg during his side’s defeat, and his apology via Instagram showed he accepted responsibility.

In those circumstances it is strange that it took the FA so long to come to a conclusion on this incident, a full five months later.

They moved a lot faster in cracking down on former Blues star Richarlison for throwing the smoke canister he had picked up after scoring against Chelsea on 1 May, in another crucial 1-0 win over a big six side that helped secure top flight safety.

It took just a month for the FA to charge the Brazilian “improper conduct” on that occasion when there was no evidence that he had actually caused anyone any harm, as Goodison News pundit Kevin Campbell insisted the object had been thrown away from fans and out of the ground.

An unsurprising decision on the man from Old Trafford has now arrived, which will presumably now draw a line under the episode, albeit belatedly.