Dominic King shares what Everton sources have told him about 777 Partners takeover after points deduction
The proposed 777 Partners takeover of Everton is “not a foregone conclusion” following the club’s points deduction, sources have told Dominic King.
Everton were last week docked 10 Premier League points, dropping them down to 19th, as a result of breaching the competition’s financial rules.
It comes at a time when 777 is looking to finalise purchasing owner Farhad Moshiri’s full 94.1% stake in the club.
However, writing for the Daily Mail [19 November], sources informed King that even that deal is now in the balance.
“Well-placed sources told Mail Sport this weekend that 777’s bid to buy the club from Farhad Moshiri is certainly not a foregone conclusion, with the Premier League still having questions they want answering,” he wrote.
“Whether Moshiri, a man capable of changing his mind at the flick of a switch, will be at Goodison on Sunday for the visit of Manchester United is similarly uncertain.”
Everton being docked 10 points is of course a huge blow, but it is not disastrous. The quality of the teams at the bottom end of the division is so low that you would expect them to claw themselves out of the dropzone.
However, seeing this takeover full through after months of wrangling would be harder to recover from. The process would have to start again from fresh – and that is assuming there are other interested parties out there.
Right now, there is an owner in charge who does not want to be here, and who supporters are very much eager to see the back of as soon as possible.
The worst-case scenario for Everton heading into November and December was that the club would be given a large points deduction and that 777’s proposed takeover would not get the green light.
That is seemingly the direction we are heading in, making for a rather uncertain future.
In other Everton news, a journalist has raved about something Sean Dyche has done with a player this season.