Fabrizio Romano: No Everton bid for Kalidou Koulibaly yet, according to Napoli sources
Napoli sources claim they are yet to receive an official bid from Everton for their 30-year-old defender Kalidou Koulibaly, according to Fabrizio Romano.
The Italian journalist, writing via his personal Twitter profile on Wednesday evening, said: “Napoli sources confirm there’s still no official bid from Everton or any other club for Koulibaly – despite rumours.”
Romano also detailed a quote from Napoli manager Luciano Spalletti about the Senegal international’s future. Spalletti said: “I’m ready to chain myself to keep Koulibaly here at Napoli.”
Big Benitez bid incoming?
It would surely take a huge offer to convince the Italian side to part ways with their influential defender.
The Senegal captain has been in Naples since 2014 and made over 200 Serie A appearances, attracting considerable interest from many elite-level sides and cementing himself as one of Europe’s most dependable defenders.
But he turned 30 last month, and thus his re-sale value is on the wane.
Whoever signs him now will have to splash out on a big transfer fee and big wages with the knowledge that they will likely not get much monetary return on him in the future.
However, his arrival at Goodison Park could have a transformative effect on the team, and therefore his signing could be worth its weight in gold.
There were some comedic errors in the Blues backline last season, and Koulibaly could help to eradicate those issues.
The Blues board will have to start counting their pennies and ponder the value of splurging out on another central defender when they already possess four of them at the club.