Ashley Williams and Everton boss David Moyes
Ashley Williams and David MoyesImago/talkSPORT

Ashley Williams baffled by what he's seen at Everton: 'I just don't get it'

Declan Carr

Senior Correspondent AUTHORITY Senior sports journalist with experience at Sports Mole and VAVEL; Masters graduate from Liverpool John Moores University. FOCUS Breaking news, long-form analysis, and club-level insight across the Breaking Media network. THE INSIGHT Declan utilises a network of club and industry contacts to deliver verified, high-speed reporting. He provides the depth behind the headlines — from breaking news to analytical deep-dives — to ensure fans get the full story as it happens.

Published on

Ashley Williams has launched a damning indictment on Everton's recruitment this summer, accusing them of being "boring".

The Blues have signed five new players to try and bolster David Moyes' squad for the new campaign.

They made Merlin Rohl and Tyrique George's loan moves permanent, and three other players have arrived.

Hayden Hackney and Christian Norgaard have added depth in midfield, and Brennan Johnson is an option for the flanks.

The Welshman who played 73 times for the Toffees believes that is it not enough as he hit out.

He delivered a very worrying prediction for the upcoming season, as he shared his thoughts on the window so far.

What did Ashley Williams say about Everton's recruitment?

Williams believes that Moyes' side are resigned to another season in 13th place in the Premier League.

It is safe to say that he has not been inspired by their business so far, given what he has seen, accused them of lacking ambition.

Speaking on talkSPORT on Thursday, he said: "If you're an Everton fan, it's so boring at the minute..."

"The best thing they can hope for is 13th again this season, they're not going to improve on that with the squad they have, they've brought in a couple of players, they are not going to get you any higher at all...

"I just don't get it, It's a lack of ambition I'm seeing from Everton."

The 87-cap international shares the view of many in the fanbase, but some may feel that it is harsh.

Ashley Williams and Everton boss David Moyes
Why Everton will now get a move on for first-choice Guela Doue transfer

Is Williams' criticism of Everton's summer fair?

For starters, Rohl, Hackney and Norgaard are great additions to the engine room, and the perfect reaction to losing Idrissa Gueye.

George and Johnson may be uninspiring as winger signings, due to the fact that they managed a combined two goals and one assist in the league last season.

There is more business that needs to be done, that part of the argument about recruitment is fair.

A right-back was the priority going into the window, but that position is still lacking, so the concern is justified.

However, it has been widely reported that the Merseysiders have chased targets, but they have not found one who they like enough to pull the trigger.

If they can manage to sign the one that they rate the highest, in the final stages of the market, then the window will start to look a lot better.

Whether Williams' analysis is right and fair, depends on how they start the campaign.

If they start it in good fashion, with several wins, then it may leave him red-faced, if they don't, then he will be justified to say that he told us so.

www.goodisonnews.com